Full post on www.GreaterGoodLife.com.
Carribean black bean and sweet potato soup
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Makes about 6 2-cup, main dish servings.
- 1 pound dry organic black turtle beans
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 organic onion, chopped (I used sweet yellow)
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp course sea salt
- 8 cups of vegetable broth or water
- 4 cups local or organic sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 bunch organic green onions, thinly cut
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Rinse beans and place in a large bowl. Cover beans with atleast 4 inches of water and soak overnight (or 8 hours). Strain and rinse black beans.
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno and saute for 10 minutes, until soft.
- Add beans and vegetable broth or water. Stir in ginger, allspice, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and brown sugar and simmer for an additional 30 minutes, until beans and sweet potatoes are soft.
- Puree 1 cup of the soup in a blender and then add it back into the soup pot. Stir in cilantro and green onion. Salt and pepper to taste.
- submitted by Michelle Rogerson