Thursday, September 15, 2011

Arugula and Radicchio with Feta and Dates


Wishy-washy greens needn't apply: A gorgeously balanced symphony of peppery and bitter greens, cut with a lemony vinaigrette that makes the feta go creamy, and an occasional pop of sticky, sweet date, this is sure to become your go-to salad all summer.

  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup pitted dates
  • 1/4 pound baby arugula (8 cups)
  • 1 (3/4-pound) head radicchio, torn into bite-size pieces (6 cups)
  • 3 ounces crumbled feta (1/2 cup)

Whisk together lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl until combined well.

Halve dates lengthwise and thinly slice crosswise.

Toss together arugula, radicchio, feta, and dates in a large bowl, then toss with enough vinaigrette to coat.


online reviewer's comment: I have to confess that I normally dislike radicchio and love arugula, but after receiving a head of radicchio in my CSA share, I decided to make this salad, thinking the peppery arugula would mask the bitterness of the radicchio. To my surprise, the salad was a perfect balance of salty, sweet, bitter and tangy. The only change I made was to use grilled halloumi cheese, rather than feta, and I recommend that you do the same! I can't imagine that feta would have been any better.

from Epicurious.com


No comments:

Post a Comment