Thursday, October 21, 2010
Apple Pie with Hazelnuts and Dried Sour Cherries
1/2 c. merlot
3 1/4 c. flour
3 sticks chilled unsalted butter
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
2/3 c. ice water
4 lb. golden delicious apples ( about 12 cups)
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. hazelnuts chopped
1 egg beaten w/ 1 T. water
2 T sugar
1. The day before: Bring cherries and merlot to boil. Remove from heat and cool. Let stand overnight.
1. Combine flour, butter, sugar, and salt until small clumps form. Drizzle ice water over mixture until dough just comes together.
2. Gather dough into ball and divide into 2 pieces and flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 8 hours or overnight.
3. Let dough disk stand 15 minutes to soften. Roll into 13 in. round dough. Transfer to 9 in. deep dish pie pan. Chill at least 30 min.
1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Toss apples, 1/3 c. sugar and cinnamon in bowl to combine. Transfer to large rimmed sheet. Roast until apples soften slightly, about 15 minutes. Cool.
3. Reduce oven temp. to 425.
4. Toss cherries, apples and hazelnuts to combine.
5. Let second disk stand 15 minutes and roll out to 13 in. round.
6. Transfer filling to dough lined pie pan. Brush edge of crust with egg. Drape dough over filling and crimp edges. Slash top. Brush dough with egg glaze and sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake 30 minutes. Be sure to put pie on cookie sheet to keep juices from bubbling onto oven bottom. Reduce oven temp. to 350. Tent pie with foil. Continue baking about 25 minutes more.